About Mr Monson
Mr. Scott Monson
- I was born at Rice Memorial Hospital in Willmar, MN, on February 19, 1966.
- My mom (Joann) was an administrative assistant at the Alumni and Development Foundation at North Dakota State University for over 40 years. I learned many, many valuable life lessons from my mom and also developed a lifelong love for the NDSU Bison [horns up!]. My dad (Terry) was in automotive sales and was the General Manager of Tim Corwin Buick in Fargo, ND, and S & T Motors in Mahnomen, MN, before starting his own used car lot. My dad taught me too many important things to list here and also encouraged me to be active in sports and expect to be successful in everything by working hard. Like many of us, I am who I am because of several people, but I'm extremely grateful for what both my mom and dad have done to get me 'here'.
- I attended and graduated from Lake Park High School in Lake Park, MN, in 1984. At LPHS, I participated in football, basketball, American Legion baseball, and theater productions. I was also a member of the National Honor Society. Our high school mascot was a "Parker" - as in, Lake Park Parkers - and to this day I still don't know exactly what a Parker is.
- After graduating from Lake Park, I was fortunate to earn an academic and athletic scholarship to study and play football at Mayville State College in Mayville, ND, during the 1984-1985 school year.
- I then transferred to Moorhead State University in Moorhead, MN, and attended there from 1985-1989, graduating with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Education and a minor in Coaching in 1989.
- Through encouragement from my parents and my high school Principal Russ Robinson, I enrolled in graduate school at Moorhead State University [actually Tri-College University - Moorhead State, Concordia College, and North Dakota State University] beginning in 1996 and earned a Master of Science Degree in Educational Leadership in 1999, along with Sixth Year Certification.
- I completed my K-12 Principal licensure in 1999 and my District Superintendent licensure in 2000.
- Without Mr. Robinson bringing me into his office to tell me that he thought I would be a good Principal, I am not sure that I would be in school administration - so, thank you, Mr. Robinson!
- I started my career as a business education teacher and coach for ten years - in Dell Rapids, SD, from 1989-1992; Spearfish, SD, for the 1992-1993 school year, Grand Rapids, MN, for the 1993-1994 year; Chokio-Alberta, MN, for 1994-1995, and Frazee, MN from 1995-1999.
- I taught almost any business course imaginable, and my favorite class was accounting.
- I also coached football, boys' basketball, girls' basketball, baseball, and track and field, along with serving as a Business Professionals of America (BPA) advisor.
- During my ten years in the classroom and as a coach, I was blessed to get to know a lot of really excellent educators and was fortunate to have the opportunity to teach and coach great kids and players too.
- In 1999, I was selected to be the Principal at Fulda High School in Fulda, MN, and was in Fulda for the 1999-2000 school year.
- I then served as grade 9-12 Principal at Benson High School in Benson, MN, from 2000-2004. In 2004,
- I started my first Superintendent position in Morris Area Schools in Morris, MN. I was Superintendent in Morris for 10 years and got to be a small part of a $27 million construction project, helping to pass operating levy referendums, and working through consolidating our district with Cyrus Schools.
- After 10 years in Morris, I was hired to be the Superintendent in Marshall, MN, and served as their Superintendent from 2014-2020. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to help pass a building bond referendum and be part of several initiatives.
- In the spring of 2020, I was offered and accepted a position with SitelogIQ as a Senior Business Consultant, with responsibilities to work in and with public schools in Minnesota on short- and long-range facilities and educational planning.
- In October 2021, I was named the Midwest Regional Sales Manager and worked with and supervised Business Consultants in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.
- I accepted the Minneota Superintendent position in the spring of 2022 and am fortunate to be a Viking!
- My wife, Allison (Kruger), is the Associate Athletic Director/Senior Women's Administrator/Compliance Officer/Director of Student-Athlete Academic Affairs at Southwest Minnesota State University and was previously the head Women's Basketball Coach at SMSU.
- Allison and I are blessed with a five-year-old daughter, Logan, who is in Kindergarten in Minneota, and a ten-month-old daughter, Jordan, who I have no doubt is excited about being a Viking.
- We also have a twelve-year-old German Shorthair named Jersey, who keeps us busy.
- I enjoy spending time with family, as well as fishing for walleyes when I have a chance.
- I officiate high school football, softball, and baseball when I am not attending games and cheering on the Minneota Vikings.
- When I have a chance, I also enjoy reading and smoking/barbequing.